Saturday, January 21, 2012

recovery

I was greeted home Friday evening by an inconsolable, screaming toddler with a 100 degree fever.  All plans (and, really for the first time in a looooong time, I had plans!) were put on hold.  First mission: stop her from crying. 

With the help of tylenol, a makeshift bed in front of the portable "dbdbd payor", our trusty friends from Gabba Gabba Land, and some snuggles from mom, Ellie passed out.  She got a bit of a nap.  I grumbled about what a pain it was that this was happening on a no-obligation weekend and couldn't stop thinking about how I would have absolutely no me time (between nursing Mimi and needy Ellie).  The feeling of being needed is nice, in theory.  But feeling like I have to always be prepared to respond and fulfil other people's needs is exhausting at this point.  Surprisingly, Ellie woke up happy.  She wanted to eat and we happily obliged: a peanut butter and honey sandwich, and ice cream, too!  She got her bath and we thought we were in the clear.  Maybe she just needed a second nap?!  A few more videos and the inconsolable crying returned.  I went to go put Mimi back to sleep and listened as Ellie repeatedly asked for me, David tried to calm her down, and then started cursing.  "That is puke," he told her.  Peanut butter-honey-chocolate ice cream puke all over herself and the living room.  (Alden enjoyed it.)

After rinsing her down, she rocked to sleep in my arms almost immediately.  We watched more Yo Gabba Gabba (more???) and drank pedialyte before Ellie and David went to sleep downstairs.

She hasn't puked anymore and seems mostly OK today. Just to be safe, we're sticking to our routine of endless videos and very little food.  She's enjoyed more sitting still and snuggling today than she has in the entire last year.  It's really been quite indulgent for me, too. 

Happy Lazy Weekend! Be healthy!

No comments: