Thursday, January 12, 2012

healthy (baby) steps

Over the past few weeks, I've been slowly (reluctantly) trying to get back to healthy habits that flew out the window 2 years ago along with free time, nice clothes, and irresponsibility.  I really used to love working out, being at the gym, exercising outside--I appreciated taking advantage of my body and being able to move. 

After 2-too-close pregnancies, lack of time, stress at work, and a feeling of entitlement that I had "earned" treats by staying up with hungry or sick babies, my weight has gotten a little out of control.  And my body is not as easy to move as it used to be.  We're trying to be healthier around here: I've been able to squeeze in 20 minute workouts in the basement while Ellie climbs on toys and jumps around along with me and I am trying to eat better (although I still can't turn down ice cream and I lovelovelove a Tim Horton's breakfast).  I'm slooooowly starting to appreciate days without fast food and indulgent treats.  Slowly...

(I'm so hungry right now!)

All that to say, I got a cool cookbook last week with a ton of yummy sounding recipes all for around 400 calories each.  I'm excited to start incorporating new recipes into our rotation again, and dinner tonight (planned and made by David) was colorful, fun, and surprisingly great.  I loved the way Ellie's plate looked, too, even though she barely ate anything.  At least we're trying!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great attitude Car and I know you'll be successful in your journey. Love you.

jess said...

since my giving up sugar, i've dreamt about ice cream cones filled with heath candy pieces, and eating buttercream frosting out of the bowl. :) it's fun, though, right?