Wednesday, October 21, 2009

uncertain

We finally had our 15 week doctor's appointment today! The months between these first 3 appointments have really seemed to drag on. I was really looking forward to today because I appreciated the assurance after the first time I heard the heartbeat--yes! there really is a baby growing inside me, complete with a heartbeat.

As we were walking into the office we passed a very pregnant woman walking out. I don't know how I'll be able to get to (or deal with) that point. I feel like I'm already as big as I can stand. One day at a time...

The appointment was quick and uneventful. The doctor answered some of my concerns about diseases that I might have been exposed to, asked if I was feeling better, and then listened to the heartbeat.

I got so nervous when she put the thing on my belly and didn't instantly hear anything. I instantly start thinking please find it please find it. After a little searching we could hear a distant, repetitive squelch--that's the best way I can describe it. The doctor looked up at me and smiled as soon as she found it. D put his hand on my foot. I immediately ask "Does it sound right?" She timed the beats on her watch for a few seconds and assured me that it sounded great, about 140 beats per minute. It wasn't nearly as loud as the last one. She had some rationale for that when I mentioned it, but I felt even better later when a coworker reminded me that maybe the speaker wasn't turned up as loud as last time.

We heard a few "fwhaps" above the heartbeat that the doctor tried to convince us were kicks. The best part of the appointment was when D re-enacted the kicks that would match the sound that we heard in the elevator on our way out. Karate kicks for sure. We don't know if it's a boy or girl, but I think we have a little ninja!

No comments: